ACBE's Birth Doula Workshop
A Birth Doula is a professionally trained support person who provides continuous physical,
emotional, and informational assistance to the mother before, during, and after childbirth.
Our birth doula training program is designed to provide you with the skills necessary to become a professional birth doula. You will learn how to support clients through their labor and birth experiences, empowering women and their partners as they make choices through the pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum stages.
ACBE's 3-day Birth Doula Workshop fulfills two of three in-person training requirements for birth doula certification through DONA International: Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas (Day 1) and Birth Doula Workshop (Days 2 & 3).
ACBE's Breastfeeding Education class is designed to fulfill DONA's third in-person requirement (Breastfeeding Education).
The Birth Doula Workshop has been approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing for 23.5 continuing education hours. CEP #9357.
At the end of the Birth Doula Workshop, the participant will be able to:
- Explain the differences between the roles of the midwife, doctor, nurse, partner, and doula when attending the birth
- Verbalize the impact of birth on a woman’s life
- Identify normal physical changes associated with pregnancy
- Understand how a history of sexual abuse or birth trauma will affect pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum recovery, and breastfeeding
- Define the components of the initial contact and home visit with the client
- Discuss the onset of labor, including the six signs of progress in labor
- Demonstrate at least four physiological positions for labor and birth
- Describe advantages and disadvantages of labor epidurals
- Define the role of the doula during a difficult labor and birth
- Describe the relationship between a doula and mother during a cesarean birth
- Emphasize the importance of early breastfeeding for both mother and baby
- Explain the importance of postpartum follow-up and processing the birth experience, including closure with the client
The Birth Doula Workshop is considered the first step in DONA International's birth doula certification process. There are no prerequisites to attend our workshop, but we highly recommend reading DONA's birth doula certification guide (see below) prior to attending the course.
The following two books are recommended, but not required, for reading prior to the workshop:
- The Birth Partner (Simkin)
- The Doula Book (Klaus, Klaus & Kennell)